A bit about us...

Kyle's studying for his MBA at the University of Edinburgh through August 2009. This is our life and adventures in Edinburgh.

Friday, September 26, 2008

What's so different about Scotland?

Deep-fried Hamburger

Not much, but quite a bit! So far, my favorite difference is the working schedule.  Previously, in the States, I usually worked 7:30-4:30 and Kyle worked 8:oo-5:30ish.  Here work doesn't even start until 9am and then you get off at 5:00, with an hour for lunch.  Only 35 hours a week is full-time! I LOVE this. I have been sleeping in until 6:30 and have noticed how much happier I am. 8 hours of sleep every night really does do a body good. I can't remember the last time I was this happy on a regular basis! Who knew that all I really needed was a little extra sleep?!

Here are a few words that are different too: 

Give Way- Yield
Tatties/Jackets- Baked potato
Que- line
Biscuit- cookie (ie- Oreo Biscuits (they really say that!))
Lollie- lollipop/sucker
Veg- vegetables
Neeps- turnips
Diary- planner
Cheers- thanks
Quid- buck

I'm sure there are a ton more, but these are the ones that really stood out to me.  It's funny how the English language can vary so much. 

Another thing that is different is that they like to deep fry everything.  Last week Kyle and I had a deep-fried hamburger, yuck!  But I figured we could at least try it. This weekend, my goal is to eat a deep-fried mars bar.  We'll see if I get that accomplished! 

-Stacie 

2 comments:

Mike said...

Scotland doesn't sound too different from the South: they have their own funny vocabulary and they fry everything. I think I'll like it.

I'm Jennifer said...

that cheeseburger looks seriously disgusting.

i love that those words are all familiar to me! a seemingly small accomplishment after a year of living here but there are so many differences it's nice to feel like i've grown a bit in my language acquisition.

just wait till you start to naturally adopt the phrases, not just the words, as your own, that's when you'll really start to feel scottish!