A bit about us...

Kyle's studying for his MBA at the University of Edinburgh through August 2009. This is our life and adventures in Edinburgh.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A few things the Scots say and think

Today I learned that this photo is of what the Scots call "gutties".  Sneakers? Never. Trainers? Sometimes. Gutties? Of course!

Another one of my favorite Scottish words is "knackered".  This doesn't mean what you are probably assuming, it means really tired i.e. "I went to bed late last night and I am absolutely knackered today!"...I love that one.  Here's another one-  Imagine that you'd love a cold soda (pop, whatever you call it).  You'd say "I'd love a can".  Can of what?Apparently that is not important...  I find this very similar to how everyone in Texas calls all soda "coke" whether it's actually Coke or Pepsi, doesn't matter to them it is all coke.  

I also learned today that a lot of Scots find Americans "confusing".  For example, the perception over here is that America is a 'God-fearing country' (I was surprised to learn this, but was told that this is the impression that President Bush gave off- go Bush!) so someone asked me "Why do so many of our movies have constant swearing?"  Also, why does everyone in our movies or on TV looks so fit when everyone in America is supposed to be obese?  I did not have real answers to these questions, except to say that there are too many Americans for us all to fit into one stereotype.  I'm sure we all have our perceptions of different countries, whether they are correct or not. I just thought it was interesting to see what someone from the UK thought of us.  

Well....I'm even though I'm knackered, I'm off in my gatties to grab a can! 

Cheers, 
Stacie 

2 comments:

I'm Jennifer said...

I think it's so funny how the slang even differs from the big cities of Scotland to the country folk up here in the Highlands! I've never heard "gutties" before, but I'm going to ask around about it.

Up here, soda, and any other drink with carbonation, is "fizzy juice."

Here's a funny thing about knackered (we love that word too!) that we learned: some people have told us that it originally, and sometimes still, can also be used to describe the exhaustion that can come after marital relations, if you know what I mean. But no fear, "urban dictionary" tells me it can be used free of any sexual connotation!

L said...

Not seen you guys in a while but I've been making myself scarce. I'm actually procrastinating right now though because I should be filling our my application to follow in your footsteps.

However I saw you had a link to Covenant. What's your connection? I know a few of those guys and listen to some of their lectures. I've never had the privilege of going there but a few of my personal heroes teach there or studied there.