A bit about us...

Kyle's studying for his MBA at the University of Edinburgh through August 2009. This is our life and adventures in Edinburgh.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Welcome To The Neighborhood

Okay, so we've secured an apartment and it's great because we're close to Tesco (groceries), the Business School, downtown Edinburgh, etc. So all of the practical logistics are taken care of. But the best part about the location is that it's in the shadow of this...

Leaving Seattle for an international adventure seems really exciting...but you don't realize the severity of some of the necessary sacrifices. This basketball season I'll be estranged from my beloved Gonzaga Bulldogs ...moment of silence.

I'll have to try to fill the void by jumping on the bandwagon of the local Scottish Premier League team, Hibernian, or Hibs (I think the proper pronunciation is 'high-bear-nian' with emphasis on the third syllable and keep it throaty!)

Our new apartment is 300 feet from the stadium so we should be right in the mix of the local fan base. I've heard stories about the Scots and their feverish dedication to local football clubs. Seems like all the ingredients are present:

*large city
*dedicated fan base
*endless supply of ale & scotch
*Priceless!

-Kyle

2 comments:

I'm Jennifer said...

wow, that's pretty amazing! and "feverish dedication to football" is right. It's way more intense than I ever imagined. Especially the Rangers/Celtic rivalry. Read up on that and you'll be a step ahead. One piece of advice, if I may: Scots hate to be called Brits. It seems they feel it's too close to being called English, which they despise!

Stacie & Kyle said...

Thanks for the heads up Jennifer...and I'll study ahead on the Rangers/Celtic rivalry!