A bit about us...

Kyle's studying for his MBA at the University of Edinburgh through August 2009. This is our life and adventures in Edinburgh.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

A game of British English pictionary

We've been here about 6 months now, so I thought I would give another update on the local lingo. Here are a few pictures of things you'd see all the time in America. However, if you call them by the name that pops into your head, the person you are talking to looks at you like your growing horns out of your head. I know, because it happens to me quite frequently.


You may want to call these pants. However, they are called trousers.

These are pants:
That's right, women's underwear are pants. This can be very confusing when you're telling your friend at work about the new pants you bought and she is looking uncomfortable and concerned about you sharing too much personal information with her. Whoopsies...


This is called a jumper, not to be confused with a little girl's dress which is what I would call a jumper. Interesting...

This is a vest. Not a tank top. Silly Americans. What will we think of next?

This is a body warmer, not a vest. Makes sense, but still. When I asked a friend what a body warmer was she described it as something that farmers wear over their jumpers. Needless to say, I had a very confusing image in my mind after her explanation.

This is called a rubber. One day at work my colleague asked me if she could borrow a rubber. Enough said.

Finally, the grocery store can be quite confusing. My two biggest that I have run across are for cucumbers and snow peas.

Observe:

Courgette

Mange Tout

It's enough to make your head spin. Well, not only are different words used for different things. They also change words. Just a touch though, just enough to mess with you. Our two favorites are 'orientated' instead of 'oriented' and 'envisage' instead of 'envision'.

Drumroll please........my personal favorite Scottish saying is, and I quote, "Suck it and see". Which just means "try it and see", but if you ask me sounds very unrefined.

-Stacie

2 comments:

Mike said...

I know these phrases can be a little tricky, but I'd suggest you just suck 'em and see.

I think that phrase is going to get me in trouble around the house.

My favorite is 'village', as in 'That restaurant was village' which means very poor quality and amateurish. It comes from their community cricket leagues, the least competitive of which is organized at the village level and is filled with retirees and invalids.

Bastard King said...

Just stumbled upon your blog ... I'm an American as well who is studying abroad - currently doing my MBA at Leeds University.

Seems like you are experiencing the same food nightmares as me!